Start your brand-new English life as an iTELLian!

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hiro_my_hero

投稿数 : 4

PostSubject: Answers please!   Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Marsha,

Answers please!

Kind regards,
Hiro
Back to top Go down
Kentaro

投稿数 : 1

PostSubject: Re: Unresolved problem?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Hiro, Thank you so much for your opinions.

They made the problem clear! I agree with your opinions.

For Q3, if the question was "Which opinion was not mentioned in the talk?", I think "c" would be also correct, too. But here we should have guessed the speaker's opinion about untouched issues. The probability that the speaker agree with "a" is lowest, as Hiro said.

For Q4, the following explanation made sense to me.

> "Ironic" is not the best choice, because she didn't purposefully exaggerate the importance of science and engineering (e.g. Yeah, they are so so important, you know) or the communication skills of scientists and engineers (e.g. scientists and engineers are so good at communicating), only to brush them off as otherwise in the end.

I may have a bit misunderstood the usage of the word "ironic".

I came up with these questions following the Hiro's past questions.
I tried to make trick questions, but I might be caught in the trick! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
hiro_my_hero

PostSubject: Re: Unresolved problem?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 am

First of all, a very good study material! Not only did I enjoy it, I've learnt how to improve my persuasion skills. Thanks for sharing!

Secondly, the very good questions. Have you come up with these? Wow, tougher questions than ever!

Here are my opinions (not absolute answers).

Q3. Which of the following opinions the speaker is *least* likely to agree with?
a. One should use itemization in presentation slides for an academic conference in order to give a presentation in a concise way.
b. Try not to use abbreviation in your presentation.
c. Scientists and engineers should try to draw the attention of non-scientists.
d. Do not assume that audience can always understand what you are saying in a presentation.

I would choose a. as my answer. I can reason this choice only in terms of PROBABILITY for the speaker's agreement.

a. Low (In the speaker's opinion, "bullet point kills". Although she didn't talk about a scientific conference, or concise presentation, she doesn't have a high opinion of itemization)
b. Unsure (Despite the quotation of Einstein "make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler", we don't know if the idea is lost in abbreviation.)
c. Very High ("We desperately need great communication from our scientists and engineers in order to change the world." "But these great conversations can't occur if our scientists and engineers don't invite us in to see their wonderland. So scientists and engineers, please, talk nerdy to us."
d. High (The fact that the speaker persuades scientists and engineers to be better at communication - and the outcome of her equation - implies the understanding by audience is highly desired.)

Q4. Which of the following correctly describes the speaker’s attitude toward scientists and engineers?
a. ironic
b. sniff
c. respect
d. submissive

I would go with c (respect). The speaker implies the communication skills of scientists and engineers aren't great (she calls it "nerdy") yet she states " Our scientists and engineers are the ones that are tackling our grandest challenges, from energy to environment to health care, among others..." She definitely thinks highly of science and engineering.

"Ironic" is not the best choice, because she didn't purposefully exaggerate the importance of science and engineering (e.g. Yeah, they are so so important, you know) or the communication skills of scientists and engineers (e.g. scientists and engineers are so good at communicating), only to brush them off as otherwise in the end.

These are my opinions only, hopefully people will participate in discussion.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Back to top Go down
-kentaro

PostSubject: Unresolved problem?   Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:34 pm

There were two questions that I was not sure which option is correct.
(Maybe two options are both correct, or perhaps none of them are correct.)
Please give your opinion.

Here is the material for today's class.

Melissa Marshall: Talk nerdy to me
(Please search as posting URL is not permitted for guest user)

Here are the questions that I concerned:

Q3. Which of the following opinions the speaker is *least* likely to agree with?
a. One should use itemization in presentation slides for an academic conference in order to give a presentation in a concise way.
b. Try not to use abbreviation in your presentation.
c. Scientists and engineers should try to draw the attention of non-scientists.
d. Do not assume that audience can always understand what you are saying in a presentation.

Q4. Which of the following correctly describes the speaker’s attitude toward scientists and engineers?
a. ironic
b. sniff
c. respect
d. submissive

For Q3, I assumed that the correct answer is "c." The speaker said that it's non-scientists' responsibility to pay attention to what scientists are doing. But indeed there was no evidence that the speaker does not agree with this statement. For "a", if "for an academic conference" is absent, the speaker is likely to disagree with. I think the speaker talked about how scientists should give a presentation to non-scientists, rather than in academic conference. But I'm not sure.

For Q4, I assumed that the correct answer is "a" , but "c" may be correct, too...
Back to top Go down
sKuroki

PostSubject: next class   Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 am

We will have English class on 2/6 (Wed) 12:00~
organizer: Yoshi

Topic
TEDxTeen - Tavi Gevinson: Still Figuring it Out (please search)
Back to top Go down
sKuroki

PostSubject: Re: Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class    Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Let's do it again. I will free at 12:00 - 13:00 on Wed.
Back to top Go down
Tomomi

PostSubject: Re: Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class    Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Dear hiro and all,

We miss an English class, don't we ?

Unfortunately, I can't make it next Wed but shall we get together other days next week if you want ?

I'm waiting for your reply.

Very best wishes,
Tomomi
Back to top Go down
hiro_my_hero

PostSubject: I know you' re reading this.   Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Dear you,

I know you're reading this and wondering if there is an English class this wed.

Unfortunately, I'm away from Riken until 19th. I'm not sorry, however. As we talked last year, you need to start something.

What is it going to be?

If you need assistance, I'm here to help you start. Please leave a comment.

Best wishes,
Hiro
afro
Back to top Go down
hiro_my_hero

PostSubject: 2012 final class!   Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 am

Dear all,

We will have our "2012 final English class" tomorrow! How has your English year been? Made significant progress? Unhappy you didn't do anything about your English? Whatever it is, please come to the next class and share your stories!

The next class will be held as follows:

Time: 12:00 - 13:00 (26th Dec)
Place: PDFA Lounge
Topic: New year resolutions

We will have no formal class. Only friendly conversation, word game and some sweets!

Wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hiro

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

投稿数 : 526

PostSubject: Re: Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class    Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Dear all,

Thank you all for participating in the English class cheers

Today we did the following things,

(1) Welcomed new classmates
(2) Exchanged classmates' names
(3) Learnt how to post a message, start a new topic on the discussion board
(4) Undertook the first iTELLian style class

The answer sheet for today's study material is found here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8020849/Documents%20-%20Sample%20test%2001/LL_Natural_Bonobo%20-%20With%20Answers.pdf

If you have something you didn't understand, please post a message here.
http://itellians.forumotion.com/f40-ll-natural-sciences-bonobo

Best wishes,
Hiro

Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://itellians.forumotion.com
???????

PostSubject: Next class   Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 pm

The next class will be held as follows:

Time: 12:00 - 13:00 (19th Dec)
Place: PDFA Lounge

Study material: Sample test 1 - LL - Natural Sciences
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8020849/iTELL%20sample%20test%2001%20-%20sections/02.1%20-%20Listening_test_Natural_Science.htm

Class style: iTELLian
(1) Classmates do the test prior to the class.
(2) Print the question sheet:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8020849/Documents%20-%20Sample%20test%2001/LL_Natural_Bonobo.pdf

(3) Attend the class with the question sheet

I will be playing a role of class coordinator next week, as demonstration.

Wish to see you all,
Hiro
Back to top Go down
???????

PostSubject: Toastmasters   Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 am

Some of you wanted to know the Toastmasters.

Please check out the website below.
http://www.toastmasters.org/

As said, if there is no Toastmaster's class in Riken, create one! The best way to recruit your classmates is to use this discussion board where all people can access and take a look at what is happening in Riken.

Best wishes,
Hiro
Back to top Go down
???????

PostSubject: 1st English class   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 am

Dear all,

Thank you all for showing up in the first English class! Very Happy

To refresh your memory, we did the following today!

(1) Met the future classmates
(2) Familiarized ourselves with iTELL & its website
(3) Learnt how English class can be organized
(4) Found out Hiro has some secret fan

It was wonderful to see faces, both familiar and novel, in today's class. I have great hope that this class will develop into something not only educational but also meaningful. I'll give my best shot to organize an English class for everyone of you. If your schedule doesn't permit it, I will encourage and support you in building an English class of your own.

Anyhow, thank you again for taking your precious time and making an effort to come to the class. I hope to see you all!

Should you have any comment or inquiry, please do not hesitate to post a message (press reply)!

Wish you all the best,
Hiro

P.S. Please spread your word about this English class - using Twitter, facebook and discussion board. This is an experiment for you: how to start an effective Online Community for English learning.

Last edited by hiro_my_hero on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
???????

PostSubject: Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class    Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 am

We are doing English class in the iTELLians style as follows:

Time: 12:00 - 13:00 (Every Wednesday)
Place: PDFA Lounge (BSI Central building, Room next to Tully's)

Last edited by hiro_my_hero on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class    

Back to top Go down

Riken - Weds 12:00-13:00 - iTELLian style class
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Discussion board :: English class :: PM :: Wednesday-
Jump to: